ARROW logo Apalachicola Region Resources on the Web (ARROW)
(image - blue bar under menu)
Almanac
Almanac - History Almanac - Planning Almanac - Geology Almanac - Biology
History:
Stories, Maps,
& Photos
Planning:
People, Land Use,
& Water Resources
Geology:
Land, Weather,
& Water
Biology:
Animals, Plants,
& Habitats
Regional History
Timbering/Forestry History
County Histories
Calhoun County
Franklin County
Gadsden County
Photos
Maps
Gulf County
Jackson County
Liberty County
Wakulla County

Oral Histories

History: Gadsden County Photos


Wrapper Tobacco being grown under slats-ca.1900
As the plants grew, each one was secured from its roots to the top of the slat shelter to aid in supporting its weight and prevent unruly growth.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Gadsden County Tobacco Exhibit-19--
Judge P.W. White (1820-1919) is on the right.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Quincy Street scene along Highway 90-1950’s
Photographed near the junction with Florida Highways 12 and 65.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Old County Courthouse ca. 1889
Built around 1850 and torn down in 1912.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Oldest House in Gadsden County
Nicholson Family Home-side view 1958
Probably built in the mid 1820s by Dr. Malcolm Nicholson, who emigrated from Scotland in 1775, and came to Florida about 1820. The house was built on his 4,000 acre plantation stretching along the Little River, by slaves who used trees and bricks kilned there. Ownership passed from Malcolm to his brother Archibald, to his son Joseph Rice and to his son Archibald who died leaving no heir. Charles and Camille Eubanks purchased in 1972, restored the house and opened a flower shop in the old kitchen. In 1987 Paul Nicholson bought it, completed the restoration and with partners opened Nicholson Farmhouse Restaurant in 1988.Archibald and Kathleen Nicholson are on the kitchen steps. August 1958.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


George Washington Shelfer family picnic near old bridge on the Ochlockonee River ca.1880’s.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Gadsden County Map-between 1823 and 1824.
The county was founded in 1823.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Street scene Greensboro-ca. 1908
Buildings include Fletcher Company, Post Office and West Gadsden Trading Company.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.


Fuller’s Earth Plant at Midway-1930
The following is an article from 1925 about Fuller’s Earth:
Fuller's Earth Suniland Magazine 1925 Florida is the ranking state in the production of Fuller's Earth, used chiefly in the refining and clarifying of oils, and in a smaller way in the manufacture of pigments, for the detection of coloring matter in certain food products, as a substitute for talcum powder, and as an antidote for alkaloid poisoning. Fuller's Earth is produced in only two counties of Florida, Gadsen and Manatee, the former county accounting for 75 per cent of the supply of this product mined in the United States. Source: Excerpt from: Agassiz, Garnault. "Florida in Tomorrow's Sun." Suniland, Nov. 1925, Vol.3, No.2., Pgs. 37-45; 88-94; 113-133 Link to fcit.usf.edu/florida/ for more information.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives.

back to topback to top

This page was last modified on : 03/08/2005

ARROW
Florida Natural Areas Inventory
1018 Thomasville Road
Suite 200-C
Tallahassee, Florida 32303
Phone: (850) 224-8207
Fax: (850) 681-9364
E-mail:
fprice@fnai.fsu.edu